Strep is extremely stable if it is kept dry and out of direct light (e.g., in a
closed cardboard drum or foil package).  It does break down in sunlight. I
don’t know if other components in the formulations might “age out” and become
less effective (e.g., less surfactant activity), but the strep itself should
remain stable.

Strep sprays are NOT a waste of money IF  (1) inoculum is present at bloom, and
(2) weather conditions favor flower infection during bloom.  Unfortunately,
none of the available models can predict whether or not inoculum is present in
any give orchard, so we end up spraying orchards that really would not need
protection if we had a way of knowing that they were free of  inoculum AND that
that no inoculum would be brought to the orchard throughout the remainder of
the bloom period. Lacking such a tool, strep provides valuable protection even
though it may not be needed in many cases where it is applied. Of course, strep
applied during bloom does not prevent shoot blight if inoculum arrives in the
orchard only AFTER bloom is over, but shoot blight is generally far more severe
in orchards where there was at least a bit of blossom blight.

Bottom line is that strep does not resolve all problems with fire blight, but
without strep we would have a lot more orchards being bulldozed every year due
to fire blight epidemics. There are some relatively new alternatives to strep,
but all of them are either more expensive, less reliable, or (usually) both.
And the fact that I am promoting the value of strep sprays does not negate the
possibility that increasing copper nutrition could be beneficial.  In fact,
applying a low rate of copper in all spring sprays as Lee Elliot has suggested
could be really beneficial in terms of reducing blight inoculum within the
orchard before and during bloom. However, I also suspect that in some years and
with some cultivars, those in-season copper sprays will cause at least a bit of
fruit russetting. Just because copper russetting has not be noted this year or
last year or even for the past five years, one cannot be certain that it will
NEVER be a problem.

Dave Rosenberger, Plant Pathologist,
Hudson Valley Lab, P.O. Box 727, Highland, NY 12528
    Cell:     845-594-3060