Re:  The bacteria (in the hypanthium) need to thrive in the nectary in order to
reach numbers sufficient to switch on their virulence. Once this is
accomplished you have an infection.

Do you have a good reference for me on this specific topic? When I reviewed the
literature, I only found a few things from Pusey. This might explain some cases.

Hi Richard,

Yes, bacteriologist have been dropping the term “quorum sensing” over the past
few years, which is a trait within both pathogenic and beneficial bacteria that
allows them to be non-virulent when in low numbers, then, when they sense when
numbers are sufficient to overwhelm the host, they all “switch on” their
virulence, or if beneficial, the next action they are building up to.  This may
allow them to avoid triggering host defense mechanisms until it is too late for
the plant to successfully defend itself.

Look on Google for that term “Quorum sensing”  + Erwnia amylovora and you will
find some good recent journal articles.

Try those below for a start.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quorum_sensing

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17092294