From: Vincent Philion <vincent.phil...@irda.qc.ca>
Date: 08/19/2015 8:55 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: Apple-Crop <apple-crop@virtualorchard.net>
Subject: Re: [apple-crop] Copper and Dogs

Hi! Even if the smell was detectable ahead of visible symptoms, it would only
happen after infection occurred. At that point, no spraying is possible. So I
don’t see how smell would be useful (?) The only management option after
infection is pruning out, which can’t be done by smell ;-)

> Also as everybody knows the sickly sweet smell that FB has, Can a dog be
> trained to alert on FB before its even apparent to us humans?

The whole point of predicting infection (via computers or otherwise) is to help
make appropriate spraying decisions, ahead of infection.

Vincent

Vincent Philion, agr., M.Sc.
Microbiologiste/Phytopathologiste (pomiculture)

Institut de recherche et de développement en agro-environnement
Research and Development Institute for the Agri-Environment

www.irda.qc.ca<http://www.irda.qc.ca>

Centre de recherche
335, Rang des Vingt-Cinq Est
Saint-Bruno-de-Montarville (Québec)  J3V 0G7

vincent.phil...@irda.qc.ca