Root pruning: YES
Withhold nitrogen: YES
Minimize dormant pruning, do some summer pruning (but don't remove fruit):
YES
Use Apogee: YES
Over-crop: YES maybe, but use NAA and/or Ethrel to promote return bloom
development
Use B.9 rootstock (as opposed to M.9): YES
Make sure you have enough variety to pollinate: YES

I found Morren's Jonagored Supra (Willow Drive) grown on B.9 rootstock to
be a very nice Jonagold strain. Good crops without too many large fruit.
Still have to watch biennial bearing. I would plant that strain in a
heartbeat if I want Jonagold.

Did you hear New England Apple Association is going to brand Jonagold
apples grown in New England? Not sure, however, what they are calling it?

Any other ideas out there?

Jon

On Sat, Jan 9, 2016 at 10:18 PM, Hugh Thomas <hughthoma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've always wondered about root pruning with a deep running and large
> disk. Just a thought...
>
> On Sat, Jan 9, 2016 at 11:48 AM, David Kollas <kol...@frontier.com> wrote:
>

>>         Art:
>>
>>                 I don’t know whence the observations or measurements have
>> come, but I saw a rootstock comparison
>>         in which G202 was said to produce “smaller fruit size.”   For the
>> reason you mention, I hope this is true, and of
>>         more than just statistical significance.  I suspect that if it
>> were a practical difference, we would have heard more
>>         about it.
>>
>>         David Kollas
>>         Kollas Orchard, Connecticut
>>

>> On Jan 9, 2016, at 12:01 PM, Arthur Kelly <kellyorcha...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Any suggestions out there for how to reduce fruit size without getting
>> into biennial bearing as in not thinning?  Some varieties (Jonagold) would
>> be more marketable if they were 2.75 - 3.0" instead of all more than 3.0".
>> >
>> > --
>> > Art Kelly
>> > Kelly Orchards
>> > Acton, ME