I found this explanation on Wikipedia to be most informative:

The effect of wind chill is to increase the rate of heat loss and reduce
any warmer objects to the ambient temperature more quickly. Dry air cannot,
however, reduce the temperature of these objects below the ambient
temperature, no matter how great the wind velocity. For most biological
organisms, the physiological response is to generate more heat in order to
maintain a surface temperature in an acceptable range. The attempt to
maintain a given surface temperature in an environment of faster heat loss
results in both the perception of lower temperatures and an actual greater
heat loss. In other words, the air 'feels' colder than it is because of the
chilling effect of the wind on the skin. In extreme conditions this will
increase the risk of adverse effects such asfrostbite
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frostbite>.

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 1:12 PM, Glen Koehler <glen.koeh...@maine.edu>
wrote:

> Hi Art
>   Plants respond to ambient temperature and unlike warm blooded animals do
> not create their own.  So wind chill does not affect them.  Wind x
> temperature could have an effect on moisture relations within the plant,
> but I think that is not a major issue.  At least that's my understanding of
> the situation.  I know growers who are convinced that wind chill affects
> trees but that's not how I understand it.
> - Glen
>
> Glen Koehler
> University of Maine Cooperative Extension
> Pest Management Office
> Voice:  Office 207-581-3882,   Cell  207-485-0918
> 491 College Avenue, Orono, ME  04473
>

> On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at 9:53 PM, Arthur Kelly <kellyorcha...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have a handle on how wind chill relates to fruit bud critical
>> temps.  We are expecting -11F tonight with a wind chill effect of around
>> -30 F.
>>
>> --
>> Art Kelly
>> Kelly Orchards