Art Burrell, working in the Champlain Valley of NY where spring temperatures
are often cool, would agree with you.  The sentences after the section that I
quoted in the previous post says:
 “We have a period up to 60 or 70 hours, after the start of theinfection
period, during which a heavy application of lime sulfur may prevent the
appearance of lesions. Inevitably there will be some injury from the use of
lime sulfur. Even in the absence of visible scorch, food manufacture by leaves
is cut down for a few days by lime sulfur. This apperas to be chiefly from that
part of the spray that reaches the lower survaces of the leaves. The injury is
worst under high temperature, slow drying conditions, and on sensitive
varieties such as Baldwins. Low-vigor trees have poor ability to recover from
lime sulfur injury.”

I thought that I had read elsewhere that liquid-lime sulfur might provide up to
4 days (96-hr) of post-infection activity, but perhaps that was a figment of my
imagination.  On the other hand, you might eliminate scab on young leaves if
you spray lime sulfur with a bit of oil while leaves are still wet, thereby
causing enough burn to make the scab-infected leaves (and a probably a lot of
other leaves) fall off of the tree before scab can begin sporulate :)

Incidentally, a product called Sulforix is being promoted as an alternative to
liquid lime sulfur, but so far as I know it will not be any safer or reach back
any futher than the old lime sulfur that Art Burrell was using in the 1940’s.

On Apr 7, 2016, at 1:18 PM, Vincent Philion