This is precisely a thought that occurred to me as a way to prevent spam -- computers can reduce the marginal transaction cost, and liens could be put up against bandwidth providers to take care of any lag in the system. Would be spammers would sign contracts with their ISPs, and ISPs with the agencies who kept track of costs for individuals and authenticated email coming from contracted ISPs. A major problem is getting a critical mass of people to use it, so that people are not missing email from users of "hold out" ISPs.

At 07:41 PM 7/1/2003 -0400, you wrote:
On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 12:26:41AM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> [...] could it be done more efficiently?  Probably, but I can't think of
> it.

I can... The Do Not Call form should take a bank account number and dollar
amount. Any advertiser who pre-pays the amount I specify would be
allowed to call me.