On 2003-07-10, John Perich uttered to [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

>In my informal experience, fathers and sons tend to work together
>full-time only in professions with strict licensing or training
>requirements.

That's an interesting one. My first stab is that we might go about it the
other way. Why do such professions need strict licencing? One explanation
would be that these professions are crafts where the best way to learn the
job is to do it. In such professions we wouldn't expect there to be strict
outcome based criteria on what one needs to know, but we do know that a
certain learning process is more successful than others. So, if we want to
assure safety and efficiency, we can't just test for an applicant's skills
-- there'd be a problem with information. Thus the market orients itself
along the learning process, the uncertainty about the outcomes makes the
professions more amenable to legislative intervention, and the eventual
legislation then follows the process oriented reasoning.

>Also - why is it more often "father/son," and not "mother/daughter" or
>"mother/son"?  Or "father/daughter"?

Perhaps self-selection in occupations, so that parent/child combinations
with different sexes do not benefit from intergenerational knowledge
transfer? That leaves the mother/daughter pairing. Perhaps that's because
of self-selection into lines of work which are less "crafty"?
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED], tel:+358-50-5756111