On 7/18/2003, Wei Dai wrote:
I think maybe the answer is that a dictator has an economic incentive to
maximize total GDP, while a voter has an incentive to maximize per capita
GDP instead. ...

If the new capitas were coming from immigration this makes sense, but if they are coming from children, this doesn't make sense because people care about the existence and GDP of their children.

Also, my reading of that paper is that the total GDP effect was not
statistically significant, while the fertility effect was significant.

Robin Hanson [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://hanson.gmu.edu
Assistant Professor of Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326 FAX: 703-993-2323