Anthony Barbet wrote:

> I have been using ACT with unfinished microbial sequence files
> downloaded from TIGR. I have tried using these files ( each downloaded
> file consisting of multiple individual sequence files of different
> contigs)  directly with the blastall command "formatdb" and then with
> the blast program itself and the "-m 8" flag to output a comparison file
> for ACT. This generates a useful line in the ACT display that shows the
> contigs in different colours and the contig junctions, but the
> comparison itself is incorrect. To get the correct comparison I have
> been reformatting the downloaded TIGR file (which appears to be multiple
> fasta format files anyway) as a single fasta file output from ARTEMIS
> before using "formatdb" . Then the comparison file is good but I lose
> the display of contig junctions. For my purposes I can keep two ACT
> windows open, one showing the contig junctions and one the blast
> comparisons. This works, but is there a better way to look at unfinished
> sequence with ACT?
> Tony Barbet
> University of Florida

Tony,

This is exactly the way that we work with unfinished sequences in ACT or
Artemis; write out the multiple sequences as a sigle file to do all the
analysis/comparisons etc on that.

All you need to do then is load in the original multiple sequence file,
and then the comparisons/analysis done with the single sequence file.
Artemis/ACT will then mark up the boundaries of the individual
subsequences, and show the comparisons/analyses relative to the full
sequence coordinates.

Julian.
--
Dr. Julian Parkhill                             The Sanger Institute
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                        Wellcome Trust Genome Campus