Hi Preethi

There is some general JNLP documentation online if you search for Œjnlp
syntax¹. For Artemis arguments and properties, you may find it useful to
download some of the JNLP files on that webpage and start with those. Below
is one of these examples.  The properties and arguments are the same as they
would be for the command line. For example on the command line to open a BAM
file (locally or over http) automatically using the ­Dbam option:

-Dbam=http://www.genedb.org/artemis/NAR/Malaria_RNASeq/version2.1.4/MAL_8h.b
am

It assumes the index file (.bai) is in the same place as the BAM file. This
is then defined in the JNLP with as a property:

  <property name=²bam² value=²">http://......²/> <http://......²/>

The sequence and annotation files are loaded as arguments (within
<argument></argument> tags). To open a sequence and a separate annotation
file (e.g. art St.dna + St.embl) the plus sign is a separate argument:

  <argument>ftp://ftp.sanger.ac.uk/pub/pathogens/st/St.dna</argument>
  <argument>+</argument>
  <argument>ftp://ftp.sanger.ac.uk/pub/pathogens/st/St.art</argument>

To position the Artemis display at a base position the Œoffset¹ can be
defined, e.g.:

           <property name="offset" value="100800" />

If you keep the codebase line the same I think it should download the most
current version from the Sanger.

Regards
Tim

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<jnlp
        spec="1.0+"
        codebase="http://www.sanger.ac.uk/resources/software/artemis/java/";

         <information>
           <title>Artemis</title>
           <vendor>Sanger Institute</vendor>
           <homepage
href="http://www.sanger.ac.uk/resources/software/artemis/"/>
           <description>Artemis</description>
           <description kind="short">DNA sequence viewer and annotation
tool.
           </description>
           <offline-allowed/>
         </information>
         <security>
           <all-permissions/>
         </security>
         <resources>
           <j2se version="1.6+" initial-heap-size="32m"
max-heap-size="800m"/>
           <jar href="sartemis_dev.jar"/>
           <property name="com.apple.mrj.application.apple.menu.about.name"
value="Artemis" />
           <property name="artemis.environment" value="UNIX" />
           <property name="j2ssh" value="" />
           <property name="apple.laf.useScreenMenuBar" value="true" />
           <property name="offset" value="100800" />
           <property name="bam"
value="http://www.genedb.org/artemis/NAR/Malaria_RNASeq/version2.1.4/MAL_8h.
bam,http://www.genedb.org/artemis/NAR/Malaria_RNASeq/version2.1.4/MAL_24h.ba
m" />
         </resources>
         <application-desc
main-class="uk.ac.sanger.artemis.components.ArtemisMain">

<argument>ftp://ftp.sanger.ac.uk/pub4/pathogens/Plasmodium/falciparum/3D7/3D
7.latest_version/December_2010/Pf3D7_01.embl.gz</argument>
         </application-desc>
       </jnlp>