Dear Alpana,

Glad that the information furnished is useful. Regarding the rules for
foreign passport holders to stay in India pls check the URL
http://www.immigrationindia.nic.in/instructions_foreigners.htm .

As far as I know the present rules are as follows (pls check with the Indian
embassy for the updates):

REGISTRATION

i)                   Under the rules, foreigners entering into India on Long
Term Visa i.e. for a period more then 180 days on Student, Employment,
Business, Research and missionary visa etc are required to get themselves
registered within 14 days of their arrival with the concerned Foreigners
Registration Officer. Hence, foreigners holding this visa may register
themselves with FRO Chandigarh within 14 days of their arrival.

ii)                 Foreigners other then those mentioned above will not be
required to get themselves registered, even if they have entered into India
on a Long Term Visa provided their continues stay in India does not exceed
180 days. If the intention of the foreigner is to stay for more than 180
days, he/she should get himself/herself registered within 180 days from the
date of arrival with FRO.

iii)              Foreigners holding tourist or other short term visa upto
180 days are not required to register with FRO.

In the past (1970 onwards) on several visits to "home", my wife who is a
Dutch passport holder, had to register with the Jorhat police. During our
return journey to Calcutta this was checked at Jorhat Airport. First time
when we went to India together we had to get the permit from Assam House,
Calcutta and then onwards from the Ministry of Home Affairs Delhi. The local
embassy at that time was not able to issue the same. I think it was
connected with the special Inner Line Permit or Restricted Area permit. I
don't think you need that now.

If you have interest and time you can check the following link (the
jig-saw-puzzle of government rules):

http://aasc.nic.in/Acts%20and%20Rules%20(GOA)/Passport%20Deptt/Passport%20de
ptt.htm

Greetings,