On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 06:04:49PM +0200, Olivier wrote:

> Is there any relation between this external patch and the binary mentioned
> in [2]
> [2] http://blogs.digium.com/2016/09/30/opus-in-asterisk/
>
> The later one mentions a binary-only distribution to comply with legal
> constraints.

No, it is not. This package is in Debian's main archive, which tells you
it is not based on any binary blob.

Opus is widely implemented in software, including free software
(Firefox, Chromium, Linphone, Jitsi and a host of others). See also
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_(audio_format)#Software

My understanding is that to Digium's best legal advice, there are still
patent issues with the Opus codec. Even though many others disagree (as
evident from above) and I also happen to disagree. But I certainly am
not the one who runs Digium. And the powers that be there probably
decided that whatever patent issues there are, have merit and need to be
mitigated.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.co...@xorcom.com