Exactly.

    If one's external access control is set correctly, you should basically
never see any outside attack traffic at your Asterisk box (you've see it in
the firewall logs instead).

Following the concept of "least privileges" is where you should start if
you have Asterisk attached to a SIP service you pay for.  If you have one
SIP provider, the only IP address (or IP pool/range) that should talk to
your Asterisk box from outside your firewall is exclusively the servers of
your SIP provider.  Everything else should be "dropped" (no response at
all).

Google "GRC Shields Up" and run that free port scanner to see what you have
open, closed or what they call "stealth" (dropped).  If a firewall is setup
correctly, port 5060 should appear "stealth" from any IP address other than
your service provider.

You can also Shodan yourself: "https://www.shodan.io/host{yourPublicIP}"; -
but Shodan doesn't tell you whether the packets are dropped or rejected.
In general you want your public IP to only show services on Shodan that you
intend every random request to get access to - for example a public web
server on port 80 and 443.

It's a good idea to review these resources often (once a quarter, once a
month, once a week - your choice), especially after any software or
hardware changes on your network.  You may find something has been
misconfigured at installation, that you would need to address.

Best

-Tim