On Friday 16 Jun 2017, Christopher van de Sande wrote:
> So does anyone here think the traditional telephone company will go
> extinct, and voice communication will take place via email like (or
> equal to) sip uri's?

Hardly!

The job of the "traditional telephone company" has always been to connect a
pair of wires at one end to a different pair of wires at the other end.  That
isn't going away anytime soon.  There are more pairs of wires, with more and
faster-changing signals travelling along them, that still need marshalling --
perhaps in more complicated ways than just one-to-one.

Whenever I am sending electrical impulses along wires and possibly via radio
links, maybe even out into space and back, whether to someone in the same
street or a different country, someone has to be making sure that those
electrical impulses come out in the right place.

That is still the domain of telecommunications companies; they are just doing
it with rather more bandwidth than the human voice.  The need for electrical
impulses to be delivered to the correct destination still stands.  What has
changed is, there are more ways than ever to make use of this "electronic
logistics" service, and markets are emerging and evolving.

--
JM
Note:  Originating address only accepts e-mail from list!  If replying off-