My two cents worth.  Hydraulic actuation may sound an improvement but it adds
another fluid that can leak.  It is anhydrous with water over time adding
another fluid to change routinely and seals to consider. All adding
(unnecessary?) complexity.

Perhaps for a 1,000 kg glider hydraulics may be necessary for a panic stop and
they probably have hydraulic systems as original installations.

Boudin cable systems seldom need adjustment: rework perhaps every 30 years.

We have a few gliders trailers that had hydraulic brakes but have now reworked
for some to have simpler open cable braking systems fitted, noting that
trailers sit motionless on the airfield 330 days p.a. We found that when the
trailer was required the brake fluid has disappeared or the brakes must be
bled. All additional maintenance to a trailer that is seldom maintained.

Alan Wilson
Canberra

Sent from my iPad