At 01:14 PM 11/11/2015, you wrote:
>>They are in fact working on incorporating a ballistic parachute.

Bang goes the idea of jogging with the jetpack on then!

It will be an interesting trade-off between duration of opening and
speed which it can open at.

The design of a backup parachute of something like a hang glider gives
very rapid opening in a short distance but at comparatively low speed
because the glider slows the descent.

With something like the jetpack, if and when you need to deploy the
chute, you'll be plummeting fast so you'll need a staged deployment
which takes some time so the distance which you fall is considerable.

Depends how you will deploy the chute. If automatic such as an engine fail detect while more than say 10 feet off the ground you might be under canopy within 1 second.
The Yak 38 I think had an automatic ejection seat in vertical flight mode.

I have a friend who lives about a kilometer from me who manufactures parachutes of all kinds including for uses he can't talk about. He has an idea that a small chute on a glider to limit terminal velocity and vertical G load would enable you to get out and deploy your normal parachute. Worth investigating as a chute to bring a whole glider and pilot down is much larger and heavier than one to reduce terminal velocity to say 40 knots.

For the jet pack plus wings idea you might want another smaller engine for cruise and shut down the vertical lift engines. Jets don't deep throttle well as the SFC goes from poor to terrible below about 70% thrust.

Mike

Borgelt Instruments - design & manufacture of quality soaring instrumentation since 1978
www.borgeltinstruments.com
tel:   07 4635 5784     overseas: int+61-7-4635 5784
mob: 042835 5784                :  int+61-42835 5784
P O Box 4607, Toowoomba East, QLD 4350, Australia