I wish I could agree with that, but how does what we as software
engineers do differs from the building or bridge engineers, surely
they don't build bridges or building on what "they" perceive to be the
right way.

Surely there must be some sort of canonical form to implementation,
otherwise we are not software makers and just duct taping hodge podge
together. Every (software) system will gravitate towards maximum
entropy and minimum order and the programmer's job is to stablised it
by imposing order and decreasing the entropy.  Having a structure for
defining how a system should be implemented would reduce the number of
possible permutation and hence decrease the entropy.

I believe a systematic approach to defining and implementation is
necessary other wise we are just adding to total sum of junk in the
world.

Regards

Arjang