On 27 February 2010 11:54, Ian Thomas <il.tho...@iinet.net.au> wrote:

>  I just hate the inflammatory wording in that explanation of the Melbourne
> Water graph –
>
>  “*What does this graph show?*
> Annual inflows into Melbourne's 4 major reservoirs since 1913. While ups
> and downs are a constant feature, the average has dropped rapidly by almost
> 40% in the past 12 years. This included a devastating drop in 2006, which
> the CSIRO had forecast could occur under a 'severe' climate change scenario
> in 2050.”
>
> …included a devastating drop in 2006, which the CSIRO had forecast could
> occur under a 'severe' climate change scenario in 2050.
>
> So what? Is that a proof that climate change is occurring more rapidly than
> CSIRO modelling predicted? As an alarmist flag to the water-consuming public
> that we should conserve and limit unnecessary use of water, it may be
> justified, but in terms of truth or factual information it really gets up my
> nose.
>
> I realize that some clerk or other gonk in Melbourne Water phrased the
> explanation (not the CSIRO), but it’s typical of inflammatory exaggerated
> accounts that are intended to promote an agenda.

The same clerk or gonk fortuitously chose a starting date of 1913, neatly
excising the federation drought (by exactly a decade) from the start of that
in-flow graph - as well as any inflow records that led up to the Murray
River being bone dry in 1914.

I'm probably cherry picking facts though.

--
David Connors (da...@codify.com)
Software Engineer