This is driving me crazy, and maybe someone has seen it. I have tried
everything. I have a new ubuntu 14 machine and I built everthing with
no errors, and avogadro runs fine on the console and ssh -X , but when
I try to run it under vnc it always crashes the X server. I have tried
every xserver I could find and every version of xstartup I could find.
The whole vnc client crashes when I try just avogadro.

After a crash the vnc log file shows:

Thu Apr 16 23:46:04 2015
 Connections: accepted: 0.0.0.0::51330
 SConnection: Client needs protocol version 3.8
 SConnection: Client requests security type VncAuth(2)
 VNCSConnST:  Server default pixel format depth 16 (16bpp) little-endian rgb565
 VNCSConnST:  Client pixel format depth 16 (16bpp) little-endian rgb565
XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":16"
      after 172 requests (172 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

If I run avogadro -h under vnc I see (and it does not crash the server):

avogadro -h
Xlib:  extension "XInputExtension" missing on display ":16".
"Avogadro version: 1.1.1 Git: 5e4d1f7
LibAvogadro version: 1.1.1 Git: 5e4d1f7"
Locale:  "en_GB"
Translation successfully loaded.
Usage: avogadro [options] [files]

Avogadro - Advanced Molecular Editor (version 1.1.1)

  -h, --help Show help options (this)
  -v, --version Show version information

So there are too symptoms--the XIO crash and the
Xlib:  extension "XInputExtension" missing on display ":16".

Neither of these happen on the console or a regular sh -X session.

I really need to get this working under vnc, so if anyone has any
ideas or experience with this I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Ron

---