Hey Avogadro community!

Just wanted to provide an update for GSoC. I was fortunately able to pass!

I added a lot of features to Avogadro 2 that will probably be helpful for
materials science groups. Here is a list of the primary features I was able
to add:

   - Added POSCAR (from Vienna Ab Initio Simulation Package) format reader
   and writer. This is used by a lot of computational materials science groups.
   - Added an "Import Crystal from Clipboard" feature. This was present in
   Avogadro 1 and allows the user to copy a crystal file to their clipboard
   and import it from there. It is particularly useful for POSCAR format due
   to the way files are named.
   - Added a supercell builder. This is helpful for visualization and
   situations that require a supercell.
   - Added spglib to Avogadro2. Spglib is a library written in C that
   allows for many useful crystal operations related to symmetry and space
   groups.
   - Added space group perception using spglib.
   - Added functions using spglib that allow users to primitive reduce a
   crystal, conventionalize a crystal, and symmetrize a crystal.
   - Added functions to fill a unit cell by using symmetry operations for a
   space group, and added functions to reduce a unit cell to its asymmetric
   unit.

They're all very interesting and useful features! More detailed information
with pictures can be found in my blog posts:

http://avogadro2crystals.blogspot.com/2016/06/recently-those-of-us-in-google-summer.html

http://avogadro2crystals.blogspot.com/2016/08/end-of-gsoc.html

On the GSoC website, my project is here:

https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/organizations/6290185763422208/#6428631593123840

and my final submission was this blog post here:

http://avogadro2crystals.blogspot.com/2016/08/gsoc-summary.html

I want to thank Marcus and the Avogadro team for letting me participate
this summer! Looking forward to seeing where Avogadro goes next!

Patrick