This is not a BATMAN specific question, but I see very clueful chatter here and
would appreciate any comments.

My question is:

Who provides IP addresses in a truly ad-hoc, truly "peer only" mesh network ?

That is, if I create a pool of clients, and have no centralized authority of
any kind - every node is a peer, and is simply a client talking to other
clients, how does anyone get an IP address ?

This assumes that there is no connection to the proper Internet and that this
is simply a small pool of clients arranged to perform peer to peer networking.
But again, if it is an IP network ... how would you get IPs properly ?

If you guess ahead of time, you will either be on different IP
networks/subnets, or you will collide your addresses.

If you have no DHCP servers, that won't work ...

The only thing I can think of is that _everyone_ is a DHCP server and you
somehow manage timing so as to decide who should get an address from whom ...

Please do point me to any writings or information related to this.

Thanks.