Hi Juliusz,

Thank you very much for your response.

* I am aware that babel 1.8 is not stable yet.

It's stable -- I just need to take the time to do a release.
Great to hear! :) I have not seen any weird behavior in my tests with a small amount of nodes.

> As Babel 1.8 will be incompatible to 1.7

Babeld 1.8 will be fully compatible with 1.7. It's babeld 1.9 which will change the source-specific routing extension, and that extension only. If you're not using source-specific routing (SADR), you won't see any incompatibilities.
This is also great to hear, I took this from the changelog that is mentioning incompatible changes.
> So babel actually is placing a route in table 10 but not the default > route that bird has placed in table 12. How would I achieve that?

I think there's a misunderstanding. Babeld will not copy routes from import-table into export-table. It will:

- announce routes found in export-table over the Babel protocol; - install any routes learned over the Babel protocol into import-table.

If there's an unfiltered default route in table 12 (your import-table), it will be announced to neighbouring nodes, and will prevent babeld from learning any default routes (since redistributed routes take priority over routes being learned).

The solution to your problem is to use both tables when forwarding packets, something like:

ip rule add prio 10 from all lookup 10
ip rule add prio 11 from all lookup 11
ip rule add prio 12 from all lookup 12

If you really need the routes to be copied between the tables, please let us know why, and we'll see if it's really a needed feature.

Thank you, this solution works. At a later stage I would like to announce different default-routes at different places in the mesh network. It seems to me like I might be better off not using table 12 as an import-route so any static default routes on the gateway-side will not interfere with whatever babeld is announcing. What do you think?

Christof

/\  against proprietary attachments