> Is there a specific emacs or vi "c-style" setting I should use while
> hacking on babeld? (.el file would be helpful)

  (setq c-basic-offset 4
        indent-tabs-mode nil)

> functions typically start with the { on the first line

Right.  In all other cases, { is on the line of the statement that it
relates to (if/while/else).  } is on its own line, except in the case of
else.  No space between if/while and the opening bracket.  Gotos are used
for error handling, and in some rare cases for error recovery (see the
overflow case in check_xroutes for an example).

> 4 character indent
> 8 characters are usually characters, but there are tabs

They should be spaces; if there are tabs, then I didn't untabify when
applying a patch.  I'm not too religious about spaces vs. tabs.

-- Juliusz