On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 4:48 PM, Juliusz Chroboczek <j...@irif.fr> wrote:
> Hi Valent,
>
>> my name is Valent and I'm founder of www.otvorenamreza.org which is a
>> partner project with Wlan Slovenia (we are neighbours) and also
>> www.meshpoint.me
>
> We know.  You're famous :-)
>
>> We currently have mostly single radio nodes (tplink wr841nd and
>> ubiquiti nanostation Loco m2) in our network and by default all of our
>> nodes also run mesh on same radio but via adhoc interface.
>
>> In my short experimentation this showed to work quite poorly, even
>> with two nodes separated by only 10 meters on top of two building this
>> mostly failed to work and we had lots of connectivity issues. Once I
>> switched these two nodes to ap and sta modes link was rock solid.
>
> Yes, that kind of setup tends to suck.  There are two issues with your setup:
>
>   1. ad-hoc mode doesn't work as well as infrastructure mode;

Has anyone tries using 802.11s configured interface? Our nodewatcher
server currently only builds ap and sta plus adhoc for mesh interface,
but if anyone has tried 802.11s [1] and got promising results please
share your experience.

>   2. using the same frequency for transit and client access reduces througput.

I know, but in this point to point setup on buildings one across
another we only had mesh interface (in adhoc mode) and no clients
could connect to this interface, or to be exact they could connect but
they would not get dhcp so no internet over these interfaces and they
would disconnect.

And  still with only mesh interface and only two nodes close by we
still had issues. Unfortunately this was on a community network that
we were building for one neighbourhood so we had to make it work and
didn't have time to investigate further.

> For (1), the best solution is to set up a bunch of point-to-multipoint
> links using AP/STA mode.

Ok, we will use ap/sta in all future tests.

> If you're using diversity routing (Babel-Z), be
> aware that current versions of babeld are unable to automatically
> determine the channel number of interfaces in AP mode -- you'll need to
> set them manually.

We are using wlan-slovenia firmware, and AFAIK this is regular babel.
I'll read up on babel-z.

> For (2), the best solution is to use multiple radio frequencies.  If you
> have two frequencies, use one for client access and one for transit.  If
> you have multiple radio frequencies, set all but one of them for transit,
> and let Babel-Z choose the frequencies.

Interesting feature, thanks, I'll look into this.

> If multi-radio routers are too expensive for you, Babel-Z is able to work
> with the "JBOL" topology: a bunch of single-radio routers, all connected
> to the same Ethernet switch (possibly internal to one of the routers).  If
> the channel numbers are set up correctly, Babel-Z should be able to
> distribute traffic across multiple frequencies in that configuration.
>
> Please let us know about your results,
>
> -- Juliusz

I'll try this and let you know... but how would interfaces then be
configured? One side all AP and other side all STA interfaces?

[1] https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/mesh.80211s