Jeremy Stone wrote:
Matthew Somerville has done some more fantastic tweaks and pokes with the
BBC News headline/front page archive that he's been running for quite a
while now.

:-) <blush>

Its for Feb 07. http://www.dracos.co.uk/work/bbc-news-archive/tardis/tag-cloud/?t=main-time

And all months back to July 2005 if you drag the slider or tab and use the arrow keys, e.g. Israeli/Lebanon in July 2006: http://www.dracos.co.uk/work/bbc-news-archive/tardis/tag-cloud/?t=main-time#13
(and each word links to a list of the headlines containing that word).

An image timeline, headline search, story timelines, and other goodies are all hosted here: http://www.dracos.co.uk/work/bbc-news-archive/tardis/

My favourite thing is being able to create a timeline of any combination of BBC stories and then save it to get something like this:
http://www.dracos.co.uk/work/bbc-news-archive/tardis/timeline/?t=Richard+Hammond%27s+crash
Or perhaps being able to search for images that had the text 'rabbit' associated with them: http://www.dracos.co.uk/work/bbc-news-archive/tardis/image-search/?s=rabbit

Matthew's original piece of work was documenting how the front page of BBC News changes minute by minute

This is now at http://www.dracos.co.uk/work/bbc-news-archive/archive.php going back to September 2006 currently (with a few days from 2005 included).

I know tag clouds are old hat these days ;) but actually i think they work really well in visualising the BBC News agenda for a limited period as well as conveying Feb's news at a glance (bird, flu, iraq, police basically) but we're keen on any feedback for the other bits and bobs

I'm sure Matthew will be on to describe this later and he'll be able to share with you what timeline tools he's co-opted so i'll keep this brief.

The timeline code (as seen on e.g. http://www.dracos.co.uk/work/bbc-news-archive/tardis/story/?id=4771586 ) uses MIT's Simile code - http://simile.mit.edu/ It obviously requires JavaScript. The search slider code is from http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/slider/slider.html

Hope people find them fun, or even useful. :)
--
ATB,
Matthew  |  http://www.dracos.co.uk/