On 26/03/2008, James Cridland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  1. Rights issues actually mean we've nothing really to put onto BitTorrent

iPlayer uses P2P, why not bit-torrent. Does your secret rights-holder
agreement say Kontiki only? Would that not be against competiton law?

Anyone else find it odd *ALL* the BBC rights holders are demanding
exactly the same thing? Sounds a lot like a Cartel to me. (I Am Not a
Lawyer)

> 2. For those larger files that we do have rights to (like podcasts), the
> leading podcatchers, like iTunes, don't come with Torrent support

That's iTunes problem isn't it. People with a lot less money than the
BBC seem to have grasped how to provide multiple formats, it's not
that difficult. What you need is some kind of script (you could even
use make, apt-get build-essential on your eeePC should do the trick).

>  3. Actually, we've a ton of bandwidth available anyway; and because of the
> way our bandwidth is charged (and used), it doesn't actually reap an awful
> lot of savings for us anyway

So why Knotiki? If you have the bandwidth use HTTP!

> 4. BitTorrent adds complexity for reporting and monitoring usage of our
> content,

Last time I read the specification for BitTorrent it appeared that
BitTorrent clients reported when they had finihed a download.

In fact the official protocol specification states:
> event
>    This is an optional key which maps to started, completed, or stopped (or
> empty, which is the same as not being present). If not present, this is one
> of the announcements done at regular intervals. An announcement using
> started is sent when a download first begins, and one using completed is
> sent when the download is complete. No completed is sent if the file was
> complete when started. Downloaders send an announcement using stopped
> when they cease downloading.
> From: http://bittorrent.org/beps/bep_0003.html

Is there a good reason why the Tracker can not just count the number
of "Completed's" it sees? It's not that complex now is it?

>  5. We'd really not want to push people through hoops to download new
> software just to consume our content*, especially given that we've a lot of
> less tech-savvy users than an average site

iPlayer, Kontiki, RealPlayer, Flash, WMP?

Andy

--
Computers are like air conditioners.  Both stop working, if you open windows.
                -- Adam Heath