I've been a little quiet recently but I'm still reading all the conversations.

Anyway, I wanted to ask the backstage community a challenging question.

Say, we had a ton of media assets from a BBC programme which we owned all the
rights to and wanted to distribute widely. Not just video, but images, sound,
subtitles, metadata about the programme scripts, etc.

How would you
1. Package it?
2. Distribute it?
3. Licence it? (this isn't such a worry)

As far as I know this is still new territory some exploring. Nine Inch Nails
(not exactly my taste in music) uploaded 405 Gig of Live HD footage online the
other day -
http://newteevee.com/2009/01/09/nins-newest-game-changer-hd-concert-footage-via-bittorrent/

They packaged everything it would seem in a zip/tar and included a README
files, some further notes about the footage, which was conveniently formatted
for easy editing and even a Final Cut Pro sequences with the footage
pre-organized for editing.
Distribution was of course done on Bit Torrent using there own Tracker.

Some thoughts

I wonder how long it took to actually build the zip files and upload them? We
were considering MXF - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MXF but it looks difficult
and time consuming to build, however the BBC did help build it so we could get
help. Matroska, Nut and QuickTime are also look worthy.

Distribution wise, Bit Torrent, P2Pnext, Edonkey2k, Usenet, Archive.org,
Blip.tv, rapidshare (joking!) who knows, but YouTube isn't going to cut it.

What do you guys think?

Ian Forrester

This e-mail is: [x] private; [] ask first; [] bloggable

Senior Producer, BBC Backstage
Room 1044, BBC Manchester BH, Oxford Road, M60 1SJ
email: ian.forres...@bbc.co.uk
work: +44 (0)2080083965
mob: +44 (0)7711913293