On Sun, 17 Jul 2011, Christopher Woods wrote:
I recorded this a while ago (3rd of January 2011) when I was scanning MW and
LW bands late at night... as one is wont to do when one is bored. This was
at my Dad's old place in Steeple Claydon, picked up right at the bottom end
of the MW band:

http://chriswoods.co.uk/files/ste-036_strange_mediumwave_signal.mp3

I turn to the UK Radio Frequency Bands website at such moments:

http://ukspec.tripod.com/spectrum.html

If this is right at the bottom end of MW, it might be the Navtex at 518KHz if your radio can tune that low on MW.

There's also a very strange broadcast I picked up on 87.5FM in the south of
France many years ago which has stuck with me vividly ever since. I never
recorded it - used to listen on my walkman when in the car on holiday - but
could synthesise it. Was only well receivable in and around the town of
Collioure; a repeating pattern of pure sine tones (mostly wavering around
two semitones with occasional arpeggios from a lower note), some slight
variations in the pattern - the 'sequence' would always end with a 'signoff'
note which would sound like one half of a dialup handshake procedure before
beginning again. This was in a coastal area with several bays, I was
wondering whether it might have been an automated weather buoy / weather
station or somesuch similar?

From the document above:

87.34.. Eurosignal paging, to 87.415 (4 x 25kHz channels A-D)
        heard in UK from Europe. info.
        Used to be a constant AM tone with pips and doodle-doo
        noises, as featured in the song Professionnels by Air (Premiers
        Symptomes), and could be heard on tuners at 87.5
        Changed in March 1998 to bursts of FM data.   French channel
        is 87.39 (C)

But I'm no ham so others more knowledgeable might be able to step in here.