I do appreciate to read what you have to say on the same subject. Thanks so
much for sharing your ideas.

Dear Firouz,

Well, I haven't written a whole lot on it because my own conception of
infallibility is still somewhat (and maybe always will be)amorphous.
Anything I write on the topic is still a work in progress. The problem I
have with Schaefer's conception is that I think it largely misses the point
and is too legalistic. He's a lawyer and sees the issue of infallibility in
legalistic terms. While this might make sense given that the House's sphere
is primarily that of legislation, the term ismat means, as Mark has said
sinlessness. Like Mark I think it refers to their ability to reflect the
will of God. But given that fact, I don't think it makes sense to simply
confine it to certain narrow functions. That would suggest it is a form of
propositional inerrancy rather than a moral and existential category as I
think ismat implies. If you recall Dr. Schaefer's argument he separates
infallibility from divine guidance. I do not. Whatever I understand about
the operation of divine guidance is
what I understand about infallibility as well.  It seems to me that
the problems Dr. Schaefer finds in having too rigid an interpretation
of infallibility apply just as much in the legislative sphere as they do
in other administrative and judicial areas in which Schaefer does not think
the House is infallible. For instance, I'm  inclined to believe that a
legislative decision can be made on the basis of misinformation as much as
an administrative decision, and  just as much be changed
on the basis of new information.

I note that part of Dr. Schaefer's concern is an apologetic one
which I share; that we not conceive of the the doctrine of infallibility
in ways which are logically absurd and subject to falsification. But I
really have to ask whether or not restricting infallibility to the
legislative sphere only really achieves that purpose. What I think it
instead leads to is endless speculations as to which of the House's
decisions constitute legislation and therefore justifying the
challenging of decisions which are defined not to be so.

This
is pretty much what Catholics do when they debate endlessly as to
whether a certain Papal decision comes from the "chair of Peter."
While, Dr. Schaefer affirms that this has nothing to do with the
House's authority in all areas, and that they must be obeyed
regardless, it should be recognized that this "obedience" is being
taken a very literalistic fashion at present. For instance, if the
House itself  hasn't explicitly told someone to shut up, they
continue to consider it their prerogative to publicly criticize the
decisions of the Supreme Institution and thereby undermine its
authority.

Also, it is not at all clear to me that some of the acts which Udo
Schaefer understands to be legislation are in fact that. For
instance, Udo Schaefer considers the declaration that there can
never be another Guardian to be an act of legislation. But the
House itself considered it to be an "elucidation," one of the few
instances where I have seen them refer to one of their acts as
such.

It also seems to me that the restriction of the infallibility of the
House of Justice to legislative does not coincide very well with their
own self-understanding. For instance, Schaefer seems to see only
the Guardian and not the House as infallible in protection matters.
But here is what the House has to say in regards to this:

"the Universal House of Justice shares with the Guardian the
responsibility for the application of the revealed word, the protection
of the Faith, as well as the duty "to insure the continuity of that
divinely-appointed authority which flows from the Source of our
Faith, to safeguard the unity of its followers, and to maintain the
integrity and flexibility of its Teachings." However, the Universal
House of Justice is not omniscient; like the Guardian, it wants to be
provided with facts when called upon to render a decision, and like
him it may well change its decision when new facts emerge. . . . "
http://bahai-library.org/uhj/infall.uhj.html

That certainly suggests to me that the House regarded its own
authority as identical with the Guardian in this area. Now if indeed,
the infallibility of the House is restricted to legislation one could
conceivably argue that they are wrong here. But I feel very nervous
when it comes to questioning the House's own self-understanding.
After all, virtually everything we believe about 'Abdu'l-Baha's own
infallibility is derived from statements in  which He expressed His
own self-understanding.

"Why the House does not write anything about this subject?"

Well, they have written some things which I quote above, just not anything
comprehensive. I think there are probably three reasons for this. First,
this may be an areas of interpretation wherein the House has no authority to
rule. Second, I'm not sure there is sufficient unanimity among the House
members on this topic to make a comprehensive statement. Certainly all of
them believe in the infallibility of the House but I don't sense that they
all agree as to what is meant by this. For instance, nearly a decade before
Doug Martin was elected to the House of Justice, for instance, I remember
him insisting that each and everything the House said was infallible, by
which I think he meant proposiitonal inerrancy. On the other hand, I've
gotten a very different impression of Ian Semple's views. Third, I don't
think think the House really wants people picking over their statements and
debating what is infallible or not. That is just likely to undermine their
authority. They want people to listen to what they have to say and follow
their guidance.

At the request of an Auxiliary Board Member I once wrote something up about
what I thought was the distinction between elucidation and authoritative
interpretation. I'm putting that below, for your information. It may explain
some of my views a little further. Also, see the article on infallibility on
my website.

warmest, Susan

Elucidation and Authorized Interpretation

The term elucidation appears to be derived from the passage in the Will and
Testament wherein the House is said "to ... deliberate upon all problems
which have caused difference, questions that are obscure and matters that
are not expressly recorded in the Book." In other words, elucidation means
clarifying 'questions that are obscure.' But it doesn't appear that this
elucidation applies to anything interpretation that the House may make on
any topic whatsoever. In fact, the House insists that elucidation is an
extension of their legislative power. "The elucidations of the Universal
House of Justice stem from its legislative function, while the
interpretations of the Guardian represent the true intent inherent in the
Sacred Texts." As near as I can tell it appears restricted to a very limited
form of interpretation as it involves the application of Baha'i law or
policy decisions. I've never seen the term used in connection with doctrinal
matters, though the House does sometimes comment on these. In other words,
I'm under the impression that elucidation is closer to jurisprudence than it
is to authoritative interpretation.

Here are the specific examples where I've seen the term elucidation applied
to decisions of the House of Justice:

1. The decision that the House was not empowered to appoint another Guardian
or Hands of the Cause.

2. The reiteration that women cannot serve on the Universal House of
Justice.

3. Note the following in regards to divorce laws:

There is a Tablet from 'Abdu'l-Bahá which states that the year of waiting is
waived in the case of an unfaithful wife. This aspect of the Bahá'í law of
divorce, however, will need elucidation and supplementary legislation by the
Universal House of Justice.

 (Compilations, NSA USA - Developing Distinctive Baha'i Communities)

4. The House also includes under elucidation, "the outlining of such steps
as are necessary to establish the World Order of Baha'u'llah on this earth."
I take it from this that the Plans as well as the rulings of the House in
regards to matters like the proper relationship between religion and state
constitute elucidations. I suppose the House saying things like we are in
the X epoch of the Formative Age, may constitute elucidation as well. The
Guardian's own statements seem to support this:

"And as we make an effort to demonstrate that love to the world may we also
clear our minds of any lingering trace of unhappy misunderstandings that
might obscure our clear conception of the exact purpose and methods of this
new world order, so challenging and complex, yet so consummate and wise. We
are called upon by our beloved Master in His Will and Testament not only to
adopt it unreservedly, but to unveil its merit to all the world. To attempt
to estimate its full value, and grasp its exact significance after so short
a time since its inception would be premature and presumptuous on our part.
We must trust to time, and the guidance of God's Universal House of Justice,
to obtain a clearer and fuller understanding of its provisions and
implications." 23 February 1924

Touching the point raised in the Secretary's letter regarding the nature and
scope of the Universal Court of Arbitration, this and other similar matters
will have to be explained and elucidated by the Universal House of Justice,
to which, according to the Master's explicit instructions, all important and
fundamental questions must be referred.

 (Shoghi Effendi, Baha'i Administration, p. 47)

Note that in the above matter Shoghi Effendi appears to regard it as a
matter of  elucidation as not within his own scope of authoritative
interpreter and belonging instead to the sphere of the Universal House of
Justice. Obviously, he did some though, or we wouldn't have the World Order
Letters.

In regards to the authoritative interpretations of the Guardian, I think it
is interesting that very rarely do we see the Guardian as interpreting a
specific passage in scripture. More often he expounds the Teachings
generally and uses the Writings as a proof text. Of course authoritative
interpretations certainly enter into the Guardian's translations but he
didn't seem to think that made them infallible.
What I gather from this is that authoritative interpretation seems to have
more to do with knowing Baha'u'llah's intentions in a general sense more so
than, this passage means this or that.