ISRAEL, SERBIA SIGN DEFENSE MoU

TEL AVIV [MENL] -- Israel and the former Yugoslavia have agreed to launch defense and military cooperation.

Israel and the Republic of Serbia and Montenegro have signed a memorandum of cooperation that would pave the way for joint training, intelligence exchange and weapons sales.

The memorandum was signed on Thursday during the visit by Serbian Defense Minister Boris Tadic to Israel. It was the first visit by a Yugoslav defense minister to the Jewish state.

"We have a lot of room for cooperation in our defense industry," Tadic said. My idea is to bring Israeli technology to our country, to have joint ventures and to find markets through our relations [with third countries]."

Israel and Yugoslavia were said to have cooperated in defense and military issues in the 1990s. But formal ties were avoided amid the United Nations embargo on Belgrade in connection to the military campaigns in Bosnia and later in Kosovo.

NOTE: The above is not the full item.

This service contains only a small portion of the information produced daily by Middle East Newsline. For a subscription to the full service, please contact Middle East Newsline at:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] for further details.