Sent: Friday, February 03, 2017 11:39 AM
To: baroque-lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Re: Baroque Lute Stringing

Mimmo,

You experience is that a roped string is duller than a plain gut? I have the contrary. Maybe it is necessary to know how the roped string was done. Mine is a roped string made with two fresh 'brins' twisted like as rope and then polished. In practice our Venices.

Yes, I use your Venice roped strings and can confirm this. They are brighter than plain gut

I would like to buy some KF strings just to do a comparation:

I have both KFs and your CDs and compared them side to side. KFs have shorter sustain, are more percussive and …slightly duller sound IMO. KFs work well till 11th course on BQL. I don’t like them on diapasons. CDs have stronger fundamental, longer sustain (much longer than guts) and work very well on diapasons, however their elasticity make them work only on instruments with higher than normal action and wide string spacing. Also tuning is not ideal.

Heck, guys, what to do? first or second option?
At present the second option is the winner!

Now, the question is what is your goal in making CD strings. If you aim at finding a substitute for gut strings than stiffer strings would be better. I am used to gut basses so I like short sustain and a little bit stiffer string. If someone played only overwounds he/she would probably prefer longer sustain. So the answer to your question will depend on whom you’ll ask. All in all there is no one answer to this question, and probably you would have to take into consideration your business strategy.
Best
Ciao

Jaroslaw

ciao to all