Hi Ed,

I was only talking about KF strings. I imagine it would be impossible with any kind of gut string, and of course there is no evidence for it in paintings.

I guess (and it is only a guess) that the original gut strings would have been quite flexible (and thin) and there would be no particular problem tying them to the bridge. And as Mimmo says, if the strings were that thick, why didn't they just make the holes bigger?

Martin