Hello,

I found something interesting regarding BASE2 performance on Postgres
(we have 8.3 but I suppose it is valid for previous versions as well).
Recently I was unable to delete ArrayDesign (Illumina Human 8Ref, no
items connected to it, features imported), because database query was
endless. I stopped it after 3 days and started similar on development
installation (much, much smaller). It took almost 20h to complete.

We started digging and found (among other similar) this:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2006-02/msg00238.php
In short, postgres does not create indexes on foreign keys by default.
That has huge impact on performance when updating/deleting items from
table that is referenced by other big table. In case above Features
(that are deleted with ArrayDesign) are referenced by all RawData*
tables. I created indexes on feature_id column in all of these tables
and delete took less than a minute.

That reminds me of another case where performance for postgres could be
improved. When testing variuos kinds of jobs I noticed that concurent
jobs creating root bioassayset took surprisingly long and did not scale
well. That was due to sequential lookup in RawData* table on
rawbioassay_id column. Creating index on that column improved
performance by more than 50% (see:
http://picasaweb.google.com/pawel.sztromwasser/Other#5257654388791782770).

I know that indexes have drawbacks as well, but in cases above they are
a huge advantage. Could these indexes be incorporated in
updateDb/indexes scripts? If you know about any other possible places in
BASE database where similar things may occur, let me know and I will
test them.

Best regards,
Pawel