On 2013-09-12 16:47, Laurent TROXLER wrote:
Yes, I can axes to Tomcat Home page and login as root. There I can see
that base2 is uploaded.
There isn't any obvious error on the web interface.
To answer to Jari, I am working presently directly on the server to
avoid any internet problem.

Ok.

What do you mean by "work directory hierarchy" ? Does it mean that each
directory of the
/Library/Tomcat/work/Catalina/localhost/base2 chain should be owned by
www or it should be the case only for base2 ?
At this time it is owned by root from the _appserveradm group (I guess
setted by the system)

On my machine all files and directories in /Library/Tomcat/work are owned by the tomcat user. Normally the ownership should be correct if you have not tampered with them. To decide the tomcat user do 'ps auxw | grep tomcat' and you should see the userid in the leftmost column in the listing (assuming that the program is called tomcat on your system).

Another path is to look at the owner of the log files since these should be owned by the tomcat user on your system. Do 'ls -ls /Library/Tomcat/logs'. Change the ownership to match the owner of the log files with 'sudo chown -R userid:groupid /Library/Tomcat/work'

Anyhow, I do not think the above is the problem.

I was also wondering if my base.config file was well setted. Should the
db.username be setted to base2user or to root ?
Thanks again for your help.

db.username should be set to the userid you used when you create the database in mysql, i.e., whatever you used as db_user in

GRANT ALL ON base2.* TO db_user@localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'db_password';

The root userid is used in the web interface once you get the server running. (Assuming that you did not set it to something else during installation which I do myself.)

>>> going through the log files here is what I can get:
>>> system.log: repeating those two lines
>>> Sep 11 10:32:00 seridi java[85937]: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @
>>> CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
>>> Sep 11 10:32:02 seridi com.apple.launchd[1] (org.apache.tomcat):
>>> Throttling respawn: Will start in 8 seconds

There is a short discussion on this issue at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5270047?start=0&tstart=0 maybe that can help you with the above issue?

/Library/Tomcat/logs/catalina.2013-09-11.log :
Sep 11, 2013 10:52:05 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap
initClassLoaders
SEVERE: Class loader creation threw exception
java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to window server - not enough
permissions.
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1827)
at sun.security.action.LoadLibraryAction.run(LoadLibraryAction.java:50)
at java.awt.Toolkit.loadLibraries(Toolkit.java:1605)
at java.awt.Toolkit.<clinit>(Toolkit.java:1627)
at sun.awt.AppContext$2.run(AppContext.java:240)
at sun.awt.AppContext$2.run(AppContext.java:226)
at sun.awt.AppContext.initMainAppContext(AppContext.java:226)
at sun.awt.AppContext.access$200(AppContext.java:112)
at sun.awt.AppContext$3.run(AppContext.java:306)
at sun.awt.AppContext.getAppContext(AppContext.java:287)
at com.sun.jmx.trace.Trace.out(Trace.java:180)
at com.sun.jmx.trace.Trace.isSelected(Trace.java:88)

Have you set the following parameters for the tomcat server? (See section Tomcat at the top in http://base.thep.lu.se/chrome/site/latest/html/admin/installation.main.html

CATALINA_OPTS="-Xmx1G
-Dorg.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.STRICT_QUOTE_ESCAPING=false
-Dcom.sun.media.jai.disableMediaLib=true
-Djava.awt.headless=true"

The last option is important, see http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11024555/elasticsearch-java-lang-internalerror-cant-connect-to-window-server since it will avoid the problem of connecting to the window server.

If I remove the last option myself, I get a windowed application named org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap that remains until I shutdown tomcat (cf. attached png). If I kill the window application then tomcat dies. If the headless option is true then the windowed application does not appear and tomcat runs fine. However, I do not know how I have managed to allow java to connect to my window server though. I have been running BASE for years now so may be it was something I had to fix long time ago?

Cheers,

Jari