Hello list members,

I'm hoping you can give me some advice regarding
Chelsea's first experience with a meaty bone.  I was at
the butcher's on the weekend, and picked up a big beef
knuckle bone to give to our 7 month old berner Chelsea
for some recreational chewing.  It's better than
rawhide, and good for her teeth and gums.

Well, she enjoyed it all right.  Too much so.  I gave
it to her outside in the yard, and let her gnaw on it
for a bit.  She loved it. After about 6-7 minutes, I
decided it was time to stop the chewing (didn't want
her ingesting too much fat/rich meat so as to upset her
tummy).  I approched her to take away the bone, and she
started growling at me when I got to be about 1 foot
away from her! A very nasty sounding growl at that! (no
teeth baring, just vocalizations)  It got louder as i
moved my hand toward the bone. Scary even.  So i did
the only thing i could think of to get the bone away
from her ...i went into the house and cut a nice chunk
of cheese.  I held that in front of her nose, and she
eventually went for it. When she did, i grabbed the
bone.

This is a very concerning situation for me, as she has
NEVER growled at me (or anyone, or any dog) before.  I
wouldn't say she is overly possessive of her toys, but
she doesn't give them up on command that easily either.
 We've taken her to a puppy manners class, followed by
a formal obedience class (all using positive
reinforcement techniques).  We learned how to do the
"give" command, and i've been practicing it with her,
but she's not doing ALL that great at it. Still, she's
never growled at me until this meaty bone incident.
She is not protective of her food (kibble) either.  I
can stick my hands in her bowl, take it away whenever,
and she never even flinches.  Doesn't mind at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?  Based on this
past episode, i'd almost rather not give her the bone
if it's going to elicit that sort of reaction.
Obviously the ideal situation would be to work with her
so she learns not to growl or be possive of the bone,
so that we can continue giving them to her.

Help, please!!!! (sorry this is so long winded!)

Thanks so much!
Alison & Chelsea (i want my meaty bone back NOW!!!)