Eileen,

Excellent post about training the give with the swap.
I also add a step to your training.  Once Cutter gives
me his bone, toy or whatever I ask for (as long as it
was something he should have had in the first place) I
give it back.   I take it from him, praise him
excessively for giving me the item, look it over
making silly noises and then hand it back.  This was
based on reading reading Patricia McConnell and Susan
Clothier books focusing on animal behavior and
communication.

Note, if he had something he shouldn't, I swap with an
appropriate toy and he doesn't get the inappropriate
item, but give lots of praise for the give.

Just my $0.02!  Hope it helps!

=====
Wendi Giordano [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Striving to be worthy of my beautiful Berners...
In gratitude to and loving memory of Miss Kitty (Swiss Stars Cat Balou)
Dec. 1, 1994 - Feb. 14, 2003
Splash (Swiss Stars Over Niagara)
Cutter (Swiss Stars Black Diamond)