I have used the word overwhelmed so many times this past week that it has
almost lost it's meaning. But I am once again, overwhelmed. First, by all
the wonderfully supportive prayers and support, then by the joy everyone
shared with me, then by all the financial support by phone and mail, then by
lovely notes of condolence, then by those who picture Ari as I do.

I sat here yesterday at the computer. And as a kind of therapy, I just read
all the incoming thoughts of Ari. It was so helpful to me, I want you all to
know. I have sent an e-mail, upon the passing of a beloved berner, and often
thought "what are my words going to mean" or "what can a few words do"? I
assure you that those individual words, when joined with hundreds of others,
create a tidal wave of love.

And something else I've noted. The people who write "I don't know what to
say" or " words cannot express" must have to look very deeply into their
hearts to continue. Because what they say next is so often the most moving
thing I've ever read.

Bacchus is not a good candidate for amputation. He has a bad left elbow and
had partially torn his right rear cruciate ligament a few years back. Not
bad enough for surgery, but I can already see it is taking a strain on him.
I talked about many, many options with the vet today, even limb sparing
surgery. I know what I have to do. And I welcome all help as I support him
with diet and love and pain med when we need it.  I hope you all don't think
I am giving up on Bacchus. It's just that we all know where this leads
inevitably.

Cathi with Bacchus