On Jan 28, 2010, at 11:43, Simon Spiegel wrote:

>> I think it's clear that what one wants (and should want) is something very
>> different from BibDesk or Skim. BibDesk is citation manager, to help with
>> organizing bibtex, while this is about reading, annotating, and organizing
>> PDFs. So it's more like Skim with a PDF organizing feature. As for the code
>> base, I can tell you that 90% of BibDesk and Skim are totally useless for
>> use on an iPad or iPhone. Therefore we're really talking about a totally
>> different and new app, that needs to be written basically from scratch. Most
>> relevant, Skim and all its annotation features are heavily based on PDFKit,
>> which is not available on the iPhone OS, I think the only thing that would
>> remain is the (tiny) SkimNotesBase framework for accessing Skim notes. The
>> more primitive Quartz framework is much harder to work with, so writing
>> Skim's functionality for the iPad would be a lot more work than writing Skim
>> for MacOSX. I think we all agree that it would be very nice to have all this
>> functionality for the iPad. But given that, the first question should be:
>> who will be writing a totally new app that would be quite a lot of work? I
>> can assure you I won't do it, and I suspect Adam would say the same. So if
>> no one would want to start developing, I'm afraid this discussion is rather
>> academic.
>
> Since most people who use BibDesk are probably academics, this is not per se
> a negative thing. ;) At least for me, I wouldn't want just a modified version
> of Skim, but also a way to edit my bibtex data on the iPad. So far, there is
> no way to do that. When there was only the iPhone there was always the
> argument, that such a small device isn't really the best way to edit your
> bibliographic data. Now with the iPad, I think this has changed. I think
> there really is a market for a bibliography app for the iPad (and Papers is
> not a bibliography app …).
>
> Anyway, I completely understand that this needs actually someone to do it.
> Thanks for explaining how much – or better: how little – of the existing code
> could be used.
>
> Simon

I am pretty sure that a combo of citation management, PDF management, PDF
viewing, and PDF annotating is really not possible on a device like iPad (and
certainly not iPhone). We came to the conclusion that this was not even
feasible on a normal computer or laptop without compromising too much. There's
a limited number of keyboard shortcuts and menu items that you can offer, and
the choices for those are very different for a citation manager and a PDF
viewer/annotator. This is the reason we went for separate apps. With much less
interaction you're much more restricted in what you can do, so you need to be
much more focused on a single feature, you can't work with menu items and
keyboard shortcuts. PDF organize + viewer/annotator can be combined, but
citation manager would be a different app. And lots of functions of BibDesk are
really not appropriate for iPads at all.