> A Header-PoW-verifying client could still be given all transactions in a
recent block, from which it can see the in-band fees directly.

You don't know the fees paid by any given transaction unless you also have
all it's inputs. Transaction inputs do not include an amount. You could
however get the average fee-per-kb paid by all transactions in a block by
looking at the coinbase transaction, subtracting the block reward, and
dividing by the size of block minus the header.

Aaron Voisine
co-founder and CEO
breadwallet.com