> On Jun 14, 2015, at 3:34 AM, Benjamin <benjamin.l.cor...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> "The size limit is an economic policy lever that needs to be
> transitioned -away- from software and software developers, to the free
> market."
>
> Exactly right. Bitcoin does not have a free market for fee though, and
> literally all the discussion so far has neglected some fundamental
> aspect of this, as you described. It's not at all a "technical" or
> "engineering" decision. It's the question of how to potentially
> re-design a fundamental part of Bitcoin, and the proposals so far
> don't address this. What is the price of the scarce resource of the
> blockchain and the mechanism to decide on price, once the subsidy runs
> out?

In addition, fees are complicated by the fact that they are used as an
anti-spam measure for relay nodes…who don’t see ANY direct compensation
whatsoever for providing that service. So we really have two different fees
being tacked on…but the miners get to keep all of it…and the relay fee is being
hard coded into the software.

Fee calculation heuristics for wallets are already far from trivial - this is
another issue that needs to be addressed.

- Eric Lombrozo