I did misunderstand that. That changes things significantly.

However, having paid is not the same as having had access to the input
coins. What about shared wallets or coinjoin?

Also, if I understand correctly, there is no commitment to anything you're
trying to say about the sender? So once I obtain a proof-of-payment from
you about something you paid, I can go claim that it's mine?

Why does anyone care who paid? This is like walking into a coffeshop,
noticing I don't have money with me, let me friend pay for me, and then
have the shop insist that I can't drink it because I'm not the buyer.

Track payments, don't try to assign identities to payers.