Hi Oneta,

What kid of cuts will you mostly use? If you're serving more than two
people, then a leg roast is popular. In constrast, since I'm single, I have
all my legs/shanks cut into steaks and packaged two to a package. I like
making stews and curries, but rather than having any meat specially
packaged as "stew meat," I keep my options open and debone the steaks for
stew meat. I'm a big fan of lamb burger, so I have at least 10 lb put into
1-lb packages of burger. Ribs is ribs and your choices are limited. I tend
to use the rib meat for curries because it annoys me to broil a rib and
only get two mouthfuls of meat off of it.

For my customers, here is a typical bundle of whole lamb I offer for a
total weight of about 40 pounds:

2 leg roasts
2 packages steaks
5 packages chops
2 packages ribs
4 packages stew meat
2 packages ground lamb
1 package liver/heart
2 packages rack of lamb
2 packages shanks (front legs)

Carol

At 10:19 AM 10/12/2006 -0500, you wrote:
>I am finally butchering our first.  What is the best way to get it
>done.  What does the majority of the people do.

Carol Elkins
Critterhaven--Registered Barbados Blackbelly Hair Sheep
(no shear, no dock, no fuss)
Pueblo, Colorado
http://www.critterhaven.biz
T-shirts, mugs, caps, and more at the