Hi Joanne,

I'm not sure what you mean by "Barbado Blackbelly." Do you mean "Barbados Blackbelly" (rams have no horns) or "American Blackbelly" (rams have horns; nickname in Texas is Barbado)? The growth rate is a little different depending on which breed you are asking about.

A sheep's weight depends on several things: what they are eating, what season it is, what sex, if they are pregnant or lactating. So you cannot generalize much. I raise Barbados Blackbelly rams for slaughter. They get no grain; they are grass fed in summer and given alfalfa hay in winter. Weights for my rams are

6 months = 75-80 lb
9 months = 85-95 lb
12 months = 100-135

I don't take weights on my ewes. A mature (2 year) ewe will weigh about 90-100 lb.

Hope this helps.

Carol