Hi, Carol,
I found this article & video very helpful.  I live in typically dry
Southern California, & my sheep pens are on a boulder-filled hilly area. In
the 6 yrs. I've been raising American Blackbelly sheep, I've never had to
trim any of my sheeps' hooves. I've attributed it to the hard, rocky ground
they are on every day that must "sand" them down.  Inside their shed, the
dirt is much softer but they rarely go in there.  (I do fill it with straw
during lambing in case the ewes want to go in there, but they usually
don't.)  However after returning to SoCal after 1 1/2 yrs. in Virginia (we
temporarily moved there for my husband's job but weren't sure how long we'd
stay so I left my sheep here to be cared for by our foreman), I noticed an
elderly ewe had noticeably overgrown hooves.  I asked my vet to show me how
to trim them.  He said this breeds' hooves are typically very hard &
difficult to cut through, so he did it with a horse's hoof trimmer.  The Shear
Magic Hoof Trimmers suggested in this article look alot easier to handle so
I'm tempted to buy them & give them a try. My question to you is, have you
found AB's hooves to be harder than most sheeps' hooves, or is this maybe
just a SoCal phenomenon?

Thanx,
Kathleen Wallis
Eagle Rock Farm