Don't forget location, location, location.

Different geographic areas have different types of worms as well as natural tendency to not have worms. Here in Kansas, we have the tape worm and several others that we must deal with every year. Since our neighbor has cattle, goats, and sheep, cross field contamination occurs as well.

Sharon Wintermute

-----Original Message----- From: Carol Elkins
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 4:22 PM
To: blackbelly@lists.blackbellysheep.info
Subject: Re: [Blackbelly] Dewormer chart for sheep

I think it is important to ensure really good health in your sheep to
help them naturally resist the effects of worms. Pasture rotation
helps reduce the worm population overall but the sheep will still
have worms. If the sheep are very healthy, the loss of blood from the
worms (with barber pole worms) won't affect them much. I have no
experience with tape worm in sheep so I don't know what its life cycle is.

I think I have been able to avoid deworming for 17 years because 1)
I've invested in higher protein feeds, which has built a stronger
immune system that can resist the blood loss; and 2) rotated pastures
every week so that 30 days elapse before sheep return to grass
they've already grazed.

Carol