My sheep are very robust and healthy.  They are not deficient in copper or
any other mineral.  I eat my sheep and all livers are perfect.  My lambs are
born in April and May and raised on pasture.  We do not feed grain to our
sheep.  Parasites thrive with moisture and heat.  Lambs do not acquire
natural immunity to parasites until they are four months old.  So to raise
lambs during the months May - September requires timely treatment for
parasites.  There has been much research involved with copper that has
included veterinarians.  Copper sulfate was used to de-worm sheep before the
modern de-wormers came along.  The biggest advances today are scales and
accurate dosages compared to the "old timers" usage of copper sulfate.  We
have raised over 2000 lambs now with success.

There are risks with copper sulfate with sheep.  It is important to know if
your environment is copper "rich" or "poor".  For example: Purina has a
molasses protein tub marketed towards both cattle and sheep that contains
copper.  Many feeds as mentioned have copper added to them.  Forage also has
copper levels.  You must know all the sources your sheep are getting copper
from.  The message I am making is sheep need less copper than other
livestock but it is still essential to their health.  A sheep does not need
to be deficient in copper to benefit from copper.  Because of the unknown
variances in environment the standard position is "sheep should avoid all
copper".  So get informed about your environment and the copper levels in
your sheep and make an informed decision.

The liver of a sick sheep will be depleted of copper.  The liver of a copper
poisoned sheep will have an abundance of copper.  A sheep that is not sick
or poisoned and is representative of the entire flock is the best candidate
to have a liver checked for copper levels.

For liability reasons I would expect veterinarians not to recommend copper
sulfate usage.  In this era of litigation they really have no option.  It is
also the reason I will close this post with the statement "use copper
sulfate at your own risk."

Mark Wintermute