At 15:17 19/12/2006, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On 19 Dec, peter murray-rust wrote:
> What is meant by csd?  If this is the Cambridge Database then this
> primarily only relevant if the alternative sources contains
> crystallographic data.

For our purposes I disagree, because a chemical crystallographic
structure is not necessary.  In practice, an idealized chemical
structure can be fitted within a new protein crystal structure just as
well.

If what you meant is "can we have an open database of 3D structures, the answer is a qualified 'yes'" - without taking them from CSD. There are two main methods: * extract them from non-copyright crystal structures (there are a lot of these and we are collating them - watch this space. * create them from connection tables. There are various levels of "accuracy" including forcefields and theochem methods. We have done this for 200,000 molecules - see http://www.dspace.cam.ac.uk/handle/1810/724 If you are happy with PM3, then use these

P.

Peter Murray-Rust
Unilever Centre for Molecular Sciences Informatics
University of Cambridge,
Lensfield Road,  Cambridge CB2 1EW, UK
+44-1223-763069