Hi,

To answer Charles' questions:

On Monday, 2015-11-02 17:38:59 +0100, Charles-H. Schulz wrote:

> 1. Do you commit yourself to have enough time and the necessary
> technological tools in order to participate to the regularly scheduled board
> calls?

Yes.

> 2. Do you commit yourself to follow up and work on (at least) the main items
> and actions you have volunteered to oversee or that have been attributed to
> you by the board?

Yes.

> 3. What are your views on the foundation's budget? How should the money be
> spent, besides our fixed costs?

* infrastructure TDF provides to run website, wiki, repository, gerrit
  and other services (including people to improve and keep it running);
  well, these are fixed costs..
* marketing to spread the word and encourage use of and migrations to
  LibreOffice and attract contributors
* employ people for core duty tasks, i.e. administration, mentoring leads
* regional events (hackfests, small conferences) for community building
  and attracting new contributors
* decide on grant requests (TDF introduced a process this year)
* assign budget to specific areas to be developed (tenders, ...)
* sponsor LibreOffice conference attendees' travel costs

> 4. Should we work towards broadening our pool of contributors, both
> technical and non-technical?

Yes, of course.

> 5. Should the Foundation -as an entity distinct from the LibreOffice project
> or the Document Liberation project- engage into growing its influence and
> promoting and defending Free Software and Digital Freedom? It is, after all,
> an integral part of its mission per its very Statutes. If yes, do you have
> ideas on what should be done about this?

Yes and No. TDF should grow presence and influence and have agreements
or friendship with organizations who are active in these fields, and of
course by providing a home for collaboration for those who contribute to
the software TDF projects develop. This includes promotion of Free
Software and Digital Freedom in general, but I don't see TDF in
a position to defend these freedoms by getting actively involved into
politics or legal affairs. There are other organizations that are much
more effective on these grounds.

> 6. How do you view your (potential) role as a member of the board of
> directors, given that this position does not give you any specific
> functional role inside the LibreOffice or Document Liberation projects?

I do have a functional role in LibreOffice anyway ;-)
The role of the members of the board of directors is to oversee the
foundation and its projects and drive things into a direction that makes
projects attractive and help them grow.

> 7. What is the biggest problem of the foundation in your opinion? What is
> its biggest opportunity?

I actually couldn't name "the biggest problem". One challenge is to
wisely spend the money donated to TDF with a perspective on the future
of two years to have a stable ground on which TDF can operate. One
opportunity in my opinion is to develop and strengthen the position of
TDF and Free Software and LibreOffice in countries where we are not much
present yet.

  Eike

--
GPG key "ID" 0x65632D3A - 2265 D7F3 A7B0 95CC 3918  630B 6A6C D5B7 6563 2D3A
Better use 64-bit 0x6A6CD5B765632D3A here is why: https://evil32.com/