Hi all!

 At least, a Code of Conduct will turn explicit some values that we, as
TDF, consider the basis of personal relations in the community. It's a way
to represent the maturity of TDF as a plural organization. I totally agree.

 About the Berlin CoC, it seems an intersting first step. If it will be our
choice, my suggestion is that the rule of 'community organizers' should be
clarified (will it be a task for the BoD? For the MC?).

 Best!
 Gustavo

Em sex, 13 de jan de 2017 às 16:51, toki <toki.kant...@gmail.com> escreveu:

On 01/13/2017 12:35 PM, Christian Lohmaier wrote:

> How would a Code of Conduct help here? I mean people not using common

> sense wouldn't suddenly change because there is a code of conduct.

Common sense is neither common nor uniform.

One huge issue is vocabulary.

This isn't just the difference between British English and Central

European English. It is more than a word that is acceptable in some

dialects of English, are completely unacceptable in other dialects.

Furthermore, some groups perceive simply using specific dialects to be

offensive. On the flipside, other groups consider some cultures to be,

by definition, boorish, uncouth, and offensive. (Do you need specific

examples here?)

> While I'm not opposing a code of conduct,

A Code of Conduct is a description of expected behaviours.

The _Berlin Code of Conduct_ is a useful starting point.

There are two groups that quite unintentionally run afoul of it:

* The population that treats "No" as indications of an objection, rather

than as being "No";

* The population that treats anything other immediate compliance and

agreement, as a deliberate affront;

Where things get tricky, is getting members of either of those groups,

to understand where, and how the boundaries are different. Much more

difficult, is helping those individuals learn to recognize such behaviour.

> But if it makes feel people better more assured in bringing those
incidents to TDF's attention,

That is the usual reason for having Codes of Conduct.

###

For the record, I'm not opposed to a Code of Conduct.

What I have experienced, is that as groups become less homogeneous, so

the individual's understanding of what it means, becomes less uniform.

I'm not quite at the point of saying that as homogeneity decreases

arithmetically, congruency in understanding what it means, decreases

exponentially, but am running pretty close to so doing.

jonathon